Saturday, June 24, 2006

Rare Raspberry #6

I threw open my curtains and looked into our front yard. “allllright!” I exclaimed. It looks like it snowed the entire night. Searching for my snow boots but settling on a pair of my brother’s tennis shoes I grabbed a scarf and my ruler and ran out the front door to the street. As I tromped down my sidewalk I did double finger crosses on each hand and chanted, “please let it be 9 inches, puh-lease be at least 9 inches.” Kneeling in the middle of the road I pulled out my ruler and slipped it in. The snow passed the number 9 and almost touched the 10. “alllright!” I screamed again.

Where I come from 9 inches means no school. Today was officially a snow day. I would have continued my happy dance out in the snow but Mom was yelling from the porch to get backside this instant. I had been praying all night for a snow day. Mrs. Carter was supposed to be giving us a spelling test that I hadn’t exactly studied for it.

At the breakfast table Mom kept sighing and looking out the window. She doesn’t like it when we have lots of snow. She does a bunch of driving for work, and it makes things slow and tricky. I told her that she should just take a snow day and that I’d let her be on my side of the snowball fight, but all I got was a halfway smile and a pat on the head. “Wish I could sweet cheeks, but I really need to get going.”

Mom said she would be back at 6 and that we needed to lock the doors and stay in the backyard. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, “yeah Mom I know. It’s not like we’re babies or anything.”

Randy was taking forever to eat breakfast so I went on with out him. I figured it would give me a jump start in making a snowball collection for what would be a long, raging battle. The best thing about fresh snow is no boot marks. Standing on the back porch I looked over that yard and smiled. It was clean. No one had touched it yet, each snowflake was resting right where it landed and best of all it was all mine.

Randy and I played in the snow for most of the day. He of course won the snowball fight but it evened out because as Snow Queen I banished him from my half of the kingdom. For the most part we were being good kids and stayed out of trouble. I only broke the rules once and that was so I could do a snow angel in the front yard. I wanted it to be waving at Mom when she pulled into the drive way.

Worn out from a day of playing in the snow, Randy and I headed inside for hot chocolate and video games. I snuck in a second scoop of chocolate mix when he wasn’t looking because I like mine extra chocolaty. The video games droned on and a few hours passed. Six o’clock rolled around and Mom wasn’t home yet. Then slowly the short hand passed the seven and then the eight.

At eight thirty one of my neighbors came over and said she was going to stay with us until my grandma got there. I asked her when my Mom was coming home and she started to cry. We didn’t hear about the car accident until the next morning but Randy and both knew. Grandma only came over for emergencies. Something was wrong with Mom.

After my neighbor tucked us in Randy snuck into my room. We sat huddled on the bed together crying softly. I’ve never felt closer to my brother. We had bonded over the joy of a snow day and the aching of just wanting Mom to come home. When Randy fell asleep I moved to my perch by the window. Peeking out of the curtains I said a little prayer, “Please God, just let her come home. I promise to go the rest of my life without another snow day if you’ll just bring her back to me.” I pressed my nose against the pane and looked out to the road for a sign. I was looking for Mom or for headlights or for anything that would tell me it was going to be okay. It started snowing again, I watched the white flakes dance gently down from the sky and slowly fill up my snow angel. I closed my eyes and prayed a little harder.

1 Comments:

Blogger T-Mac said...

I like this one...I actually got a more and more worried as I read it! What happens?!?! Nice!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home