Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Lucky Lemon #5

I woke up freezing on a park bench. The rising sun crept through the trees across the green grass and into my eyes. What time was it? Maybe 5am. Had I really been out all night? As the grogginess subsided, I grabbed the blanket around my shoulders and pulled my knees to my chest. “Hey there” whispered a voice from behind me. I turned and smiled. “Cappuccino?” He offered me my cup and he sat down with his. Under the glow of the rising sun the moment felt like a movie, fleeting and perfect.

“Crazy night, huh?”

“Yeah.”

A perfect ending to an outrageous night. A few of my girlfriends had dragged me out to the city to go dancing and drinking. Wanting a quick drunk, I slammed a couple of Long Islands and headed out to the dance floor. There’s something freeing about letting your body move in the company of your closest friends. I smiled and laughed and danced without regard to the rest of the room. The next thing I know, there’s a tap on my shoulder. I whiz around in a drunken state. “Hey!!!!” I squealed and threw my arms around him. Bryant was an old friend and a close friend at that. After college we’d split ways, he getting a job back home and I moving to the city and going to grad school. I’d thought I’d fallen in love with his best friend and so we’d dated a long time.

He stayed and drank and danced with us. A few drinks and shots later, we took our leave of my friends and went strolling through the city late at night. We caught up on old times as we made our way back to my apartment. Messy as always, I pulled out my stash and an old blanket. “To the park?” He smiled. We used to spend long nights smoking in parks.

A cold night but we’d had too many to care, we laid the blanket across the grass. Watching the smoke swirl its way up to the stars, our minds danced around philosophical games we used to play. Letting it fill my lungs before exhaling, I’d smile and puff out slowly. In the distance we could hear the music from a club. I got up and strained to hear. The song changed. “I love this song!” I grabbed his hand and yanked him up. He hated dancing. “There’s blood in my mouth ‘cause I’ve been biting my tongue all week” I sang. I twirled through the park and he followed me with the blanket. It finally hit him and he joined me. Dancing through the park singing our favorite old songs, we’d make out every now and then. Just a quick slip of the tongue or a roll in the grass and we were right back to it. Nothing serious, just some innocent flirting and fun. After an hour we got exhausted, and I’d passed out on the bench. He’d covered me up as I fell asleep. I don’t even know where he slept.

So here we sit. Watching the sun rise, drinking our coffee, and relaxing. As the oranges and yellows melded with the blues and purples, the world woke up before us. It wasn’t a future, just a moment, beautiful and fleeting. It’s the reason I live in the city. Privacy and comfort in the bustling public.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home