Sunday, June 25, 2006

Crazy Clementine #6

There is something,
strange and surreal,
about shopping for Christmas presents in flip flops.

I have tried,
to get in the mood,
by buying candles smelling of cranberries and gingerbread.

Perhaps a trip,
to the ice rink,
would make me feel less grumpy.

Didn't work.


I wonder if,
the little kids,
imagine Santa riding a jet ski instead of a sleigh.

But I should relax,
and enjoy the sun,
and the sparkling waters and pure white sands.

And join the rest,
of the smiling faces,
with bright shining teeth and tanned tight bodies.

That's what my parents said to do.


I look at that photo,
with crumpled edges,
and a big straight crease running along the side.

I remember then,
that day last year,
where we ran around with mini-icicles hanging on our lashes.

Of course you know,
the way this ends,
I didn't mean for this to be such a cliche

He died the day after we took that photo.


I moved out west,
away from the town,
where every store and street and sign reminded me of lost love.

I was supposed,
to start again,
and find happiness in the shining sun.

But instead,
I'm left alone,
the hustle and bustle reminding me so.

Summer never was my favorite season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home