Sunday, June 25, 2006

Benign Boysenberry #6

Posted by Happy Skies: November 16, 7:16 AM CST

flights today: MSP/OMA, OMA/DEN, DEN/OMA, OMA/MSP

Mood: cheerful

There are big fat flakes falling in my suburban backyard. Today is the first snow of the year and work is going to be a hassle, late flights, grumpy people and delays for de-icing. Everyone will have a heavy coat they expect to fit magically into the overhead bin, along with their luggage and the kitchen sink they couldn’t bear to check. I hope to God I don’t get stuck in Omaha tonight….. if I am, I’ll call you “bertie” – we’ll have a drink or something ). It is great to have Blog buddies!

When I was a kid, the first snow would have me and my sister tuned to WCCO “the Voice of the Great Midwest” for the school closing announcements. They were in alphabetical order and Charlie Anderson had been reading them on the radio for about a hundred years. My school started with an O – so if he was saying “Albertville” I knew I had time to brush my teeth before I’d risk missing my school being called. Right now my kids are glued to the internet postings waiting for “Burnsville, public and private” to be posted. I still listen to the radio.

Now, the first snow of the year makes me think about OB (old boyfriend). He loved the first snow, he called it ‘virginal’ and ‘pure. He wouldn’t let me make snow angles because I would “sully” the snow. OB classified things that way and didn’t want things to change after he put them in a category. I’d try to tell him that things were more complicated than it seemed, but he wouldn’t listen.

I dated OB my junior year in college. We broke-up when I told him I was more complicated than I seemed. He couldn’t handle that. He wanted someone like the snow, and I wasn’t that. He couldn’t take me home to his Mormon family that way. Last I knew OB was living in California. That was a looooong time ago.

Oops… time is short, I’d better kiss hubby goodbye and head to the airport. The traffic today is going to suck because of the snow. I’ll let you know how it goes…


_________________________________________________________________________
Posted by Happy Skies: November 16, 12:42 PM CST

Location: DEN
Mood: strange/relieved

God, I love free wireless in airports. I can eat my lunch and blog at the same time.

Y’all won’t even begin to guess what happened today…

Come on, guess

No – really, guess



Ok.. here’s the story, my flight to OMA was going just like normal. People were crabby and had too many coats etc. I’m pushing the drink cart down the aisle when I see him in the back row. He’s reading a magazine and is wearing glasses, but I think that is him, OB!!

I immediately start to panic. It has been 16 years since I saw him last. I’ve had a couple of “careers”, I got married and had a couple of kids. I look good, but I don’t look like I’m 20 anymore.

I was flying with GF today (girlfriend) and gave her the emergency signal… not the “plane is gong to crash signal” the “oh crap, I need you signal” – she took over on the drink cart and I went to check my make-up in the galley area.

All the way up the aisle all I could think about the fight we had the night we broke up..... we were walking in Temple Square.

OB and I went to BYU together. When we wanted to have a really romantic night we’d go to Salt Lake City for dinner and a walk in Temple Square. There are paths and gardens around the Temple and the setting is very romantic. My girlfriends and I dream of a proposal in Temple Square at night.

All week OB had been dropping hints that he was going to propose to me and sitting in Temple Square near the statue of Joesph Smith, I knew I needed to tell him before he popped the question.

I had to tell him about “Anna”.

Background: for those of you who weren’t reading back in July on Anna’s 20th birthday… here’s the scoop: “Anna” is what I call the daughter I gave up for adoption when I was 17. Go : here, here, here, and here for the posts…

Suffice it to say he didn’t take the news well. He couldn’t handle the fact that I’d had a baby, even the fact that I had sex bothered him a lot. It was worse because I didn’t tell him, and actually lied to him when he asked me about having sex.

I didn’t think it was fair. That happened before I was baptized at age 18, and if God has forgiven me that sin, I thought OB could too. I was wrong.

He said his family wouldn’t understand, that they wanted him to marry someone from “a good family” and I wasn’t it.

I asked him if it would have been better if I’d aborted Anna… thinking that at least I’d get credit for not killing a baby.

He called me a “slut” and a “whore” and told me he couldn’t spend his life knowing that I had a child ‘with someone else’.

I tried to tell him that I had no contact with “Anna”, that I didn’t even know her actual name and that there was no “with” that someone else. OB wouldn’t listen when I told him Anna’s father was someone I dated for a little while in high school and was broken up with by the time I had Anna. When I told him about her, he told me to abort Anna and I refused. He never spoke to me again.

OB didn’t care, I’d slept with him and got pregnant, that was all he could hear.

That was just before finals week. After finals OB started his mission to Japan and I never saw him again….

Soooo…. Back to today…

With my fresh make-up and newly primped uniform I took over for GF and begin to be miss-cheerful as I worked the beverage cart. People are responding, making jokes and being nice.

As I worked, I glanceed at him. He looks good, like he’s been in the sun too much, but good. He’s reading a Wall Street Journal, wearing a suit and he seems relaxed and content. He doesn’t seem to recognize me. Surely, by the time I get to his row and he can read my nametag that says “Happy” on it, he’ll figure out it’s me.

Finally, I get to his row – I say “OB”?

He looks at me funny. I say, “It’s me, Happy”.

Again, a funny look… and, as I look at him again I realize it isn’t OB. I say, “sorry, you look like an old friend from College”.

He smiled, and with a strong Austrailian accent said, “that’s ok love, it happens all the time. I’ll have an orange juice, if you don’t mind.” Relieved, I gave him his juice.

Oops… time to get my ass to OMA…





___________________________________________________________
Posted by Happy Skies: November 17, 6:22 AM CST

Location: home,
Flights today: none
Mood: cozy

It snowed about a foot in MSP since yesterday. My backyard residents now include a snowman and his family. The kids had a snow day yesterday and hubby stayed home with them.

They didn’t close the airport, so I wasn’t stuck in OMA last night and when I got home hubby had made a pot of chili and some cornbread, the kids were happy and exhausted and I was ready to put my feet up by the fire with a glass of wine, which is exactly what I did.

When I told hubby about the OB scare, he snorted and said “that ass? – damm, I got lucky when he thought he was too good for you. It’s a good thing it wasn’t him, I’d have to beat him up just for you..”

Once again, you see why I love hubby. I think I’ll bake him some cookies or something…

Domestic bliss, just one more reason to love the snow....

1 Comments:

Blogger T-Mac said...

Oooh, very original format, nice! :-)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home