Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Lively Lime #3

The familiar drumbeats of that current hit song begin to play. The lights dim, the disco ball glitters, and our feet are on the dance floor.

…Shakedown 1979, cool kids never have the time
On a live wire right up off the street
You and I should meet…


We are on the brink of adolescence. Girls baring shoulders for the first time, boys' hearts stirring. This is summer camp. This is paradise.

I know his face. He's been smiling at me all week. The night air invigorates us, and we know we should dance together. Through the sea of people, I glide over towards him, slightly embarrassed that I'm wearing sandals. I forgot to pack dress shoes. Glancing at his feet, I see sneakers. No tie. But he's still wonderful. He holds out his hand, with a nervous yet gentle smile. Something beautiful is about to happen.

…Junebug skipping like a stone
With the headlights pointed at the dawn
We were sure we'd never see an end to it all…

Arms around my waist. Slightly sweaty cheeks touch. Our eyes are closed, and we are in another world. In my mind, I am floating on waves of soft purple light. This energy, this music, envelops me. There is a cascade of possibilities…how much happiness I could feel, and how rich a life I could live. This is just the beginning, and best of all…I think this boy likes me.

…Faster than the speed of sound
Faster than we thought we'd go, beneath the sound of hope…

We continue to sway, sharing the dream together. As the sounds rise and fall with each chorus, my heart beats faster. He gets it, I know he feels that other universe. Maybe his waves are blue, I imagine. I peek and see other couples twirling around us, some also consumed by the energy, some not. The girl getting her feet stepped on is definitely not. Too bad, she's missing out on so much.

Finally, the song begins to fade. The purple waves float away like vapor, and my eyes are forced to adjust to the flickering lights coming back on. Just as the dream vanishes, he tightens his hold, kisses me on the corner of my lips, and mouths "Thank you."

…The street heats the urgency of sound
As you can see there's no one around...

I look at his eyes closely for the first time. Soft blue.

The next day, camp was over and we both went home, never to return. But for those four and a half minutes on the dance floor that night, we made unforgettable magic together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home