Monday, June 12, 2006

Brash Blackberry #3

Tracy liked to be kissed in the rain. I had only known her for a few weeks when she told me about it. She mentioned that her old boyfriend, the first person she’d fucked, caught her lips in the rain once. And she said there had never been any kiss comparable to that one.

I knew I was treading on dangerous territory when the idea popped into my head. Trace (as she secretly liked to be called) and I were walking back to her apartment from a wonderful concert at The Blue Note. Jimmy Eat World, a band that reminded us what it was like to be in high school again, had played to a sold out audience. We were lost in a toned down wonderland, a byproduct of a concert where the speakers were too loud and the lights were too bright.

We were halfway to her place when it started to mist. It was around 80°, so we didn’t mind the cool moisture on our skin. Tracy smiled like she had some sort of narcotic in her system and all we could do is laugh. I realized at this point that this was the perfect moment for our first real kiss.

We’d kissed a year before in her dorm room. She told me that kiss meant nothing to her, that it had no magic. Those weren’t her exact words, but that’s what I took it as. And from that moment on, I hadn’t pursued her. We’d been friends and kept it that way.

That is, until this night. We were getting close to her apartment and my heart pounded heavily, so loud I thought she could hear it. The rain started pouring hard and her thin black hair started to soak. We walked slowly to the entrance of her apartment building.

The idea came out of my mouth almost as fast as I’d thought it up. “We should kiss,” I said in a quiet tone. Tracy looked at me strangely for a minute. She could have been thinking a number of things – that kiss she talked about in the rain, the first time we kissed, our hands edging toward one another at the concert.

She grinned and suddenly, she came toward me. We kissed. There was a passionate, fierce connection between us, and this time it was magical. The rain poured over our faces and entered our mouths. The kiss was more wet than any I had experienced before, and she kissed me like no other girl had. Maybe it was the rain. Maybe it was my lack of experience kissing pretty girls. Maybe it was a little bit of both.

When we were done, we looked at one another silently. She gave me a tight hug and I knew our night had come to a close. She smiled as if she had won a large pink bear at a carnival and walked into her building.

As I started back to my place, I looked into the cloudy sky and embraced the rain around me. The rain might have been a little cold, but my heart was on fire.

You know, there’s magic in kisses. But not of all of them.

1 Comments:

Blogger T-Mac said...

This is really solid...I think you capture a lot of emotion here and that's impressive. I enjoyed reading it! :-)

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home