Sunday, June 11, 2006

Classy Cherry #2

I’m still a child.

When I am lost,
so small, and alone,
I squeeze my eyes shut
and wish for my momma,
ache for her voice and hand
to find me and take me home.

When I’m in a store
I walk the toys’ aisle
to look at the new dolls
with pretty dresses and perfect faces
and touch their realistic bodies
to imagine the babe was mine.

When I eat vanilla pudding
cold in Snack pack plastics
I swallow it in giant spoonfuls
and let the smooth sweetness
roll around my tongue and
ring below my lip.

When I’ve been awake too long
my eyes tearing up
and my limbs heavy
with head pounding
all I want to do is cry
so somebody tucks me in.

When I’m sad
all I want is for you to
run your fingers
through the blonde hairs
curling around my ears
and pat my back, "it's okay."

I hope I never grow old.

I don’t ever want to wear granny panties
I don't want to become conservative with age
"when I see reason,"
I don't want to ever stop believing in magic
I don’t ever want to wear panty hose with tennis shoes
I don't want to be afraid of technology.

I want to stay a child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home